Publishing trends will continue to favour Romance, New Adult, Young Adult, KidLit and Colouring Books! With regard to Mind, Body and Spirit authors, there is good news with two new specialist imprints this year: HarperCollins with HarperElixir for 'seekers' and Atria Publishing with Enliven.
From an astrological perspective, 2016 could be a great year for Mind, Body, Spirit books (otherwise known as 'MBS' in the industry) because according to Barbara Goldsmith’s astrological report for 2016 planetary alignments are inclining earthlings towards:
- Healthy thinking and healthy eating of pure and raw foods
- Energy medicine and preventative health
- Young people with a huge purpose continuing to appear on the world stage
- The drive towards selflessness and spirituality gathering speed
- A restructuring of attitudes towards religion, faith and meaning. There may be more religious conflicts, and the oppression of organised religions, but there will be an opportunity for them to acknowledge their inter-connectedness rather than their separateness.
All of which suggests continuing scope for the alternative world, both in tems of self-publishing and through traditional channels. 'Best practices’, particularly in terms of careful editing and proof-reading, as well as an emphasis on great covers are underlined by Mark Coker blogging today on Smashwords 2016 Book Publishing Industry Predictions:
“The global book publishing is a $100 billion dollar market. Despite anemic growth, and even if the market shrinks, there’s still incredible opportunity for every new, future and veteran author alike to reach thousands if not millions of readers. Best practices will separate those who reach a lot of readers from those who reach few… One common trait among the best sellers is the quality of their writing and covers. Luck plays a factor as well, but only for those who implement best practices first. Luck strikes all the time. It's word of mouth. It's a blog post, or a tweet, or a Facebook mention, or a review that recommends your book. The books you have in you are important. Your books are important to the future of book culture and humanity. Don't let anyone or anything discourage you from putting your book out into the world.”
On that pleasantly optimistic note, I’d like to wish you an irrefutably positive year filled with JOY, GRATITUDE, WELLBEING…and oodles of WRITING....